What a week this was marked by the deaths of James Brown, viagra sales viagra the King of Rock and Roll, cialis canada cialis Gerald Ford, doctor former President of the United States, and Saddam Hussein, one of the most murderous dictators in recent history. I do not believe I can ever remember the passing of so many well known figures during the celebration of Christmas. Yet there was the death of a young woman the media missed in all its reporting frenzy. She was a wonderful daughter to her parents, loving wife to her husband, and caring mother to her children. She passed away unexpectedly on Christmas morning before her family could open their Christmas gifts and celebrate the rest of Christmas day. Her name was Angela Hillard, a mother to Aidan, one of our third grade students at Heritage Christian School. In the eyes of the world she was not noteworthy in comparison to these public figures who passed away, but in the eyes of God, she was everything because of her commitment to Him, her family, and those with whom she worked. So, I dedicate this New Year’s Teachable Moment to Angela, who now resides in heaven with Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world.
As you make your 2007 New Year’s resolutions, put reading and referring to God’s Word at the top of your list. If you do, it will last the year and, in fact, you may find out that you don’t need any other resolutions except this one.
The following are some Scriptures to read and reflect on during this next year; they fit most situations you will encounter or go through.
- When in sorrow – Read and refer to John 14.
- How to be right with God – Read and refer to John 3:16, Romans 3:22-24, Romans 5:8-11, Revelations 3:19-20.
- When others fail you – Read and refer to Psalm 27.
- If you have been unfruitful – Read and refer to John 15.
- If you have sinned – Read and refer to Psalm 51.
- If you worry – Read and refer to Matthew 6:19-34.
- If you are in danger – Read and refer to Psalm 91.
- When God seems far away – Read and refer to Psalm 139.
- When you faith needs stirring – Read and refer to Hebrews 11.
- When you are lonely and fearful – Read and refer to Psalm 23.
- When you are bitter or critical – Read and refer to I Corinthians 13.
- When you want to experience true happiness – Read and refer to Colossians 3:12-17
- When you feel down and out – Read and refer to Romans 8:31.
- When you want peace and rest – Read and refer to Matthew 11:28-30.
- When the world seems bigger than God – Read and refer to Psalm 90.
- When you want assurance of your faith – Read and refer to Romans 8:1-30.
- When you want courage for the task – Read and refer to Joshua 1.
- When you want to know how to get along with others – Read and refer to Romans 12.
- If you are depressed – Read and refer to Psalm 27.
- When you are financially strapped – Read and refer to Psalm 37.
- When you are the recipient of unkindness – Read and refer to John 15.
- When you get discouraged at work – Read and refer to Psalm 126.
- When you are scared – Read and refer to Psalm 34:7
- When you are feeling insecure – Read and refer to Psalm 121.
- When you need reassurance – Read and refer to Psalm 145:18.
- When you feel crushed – Read and refer to Psalm 34:18.
God speed, have a great year, and don’ forget to offer up a prayer for the Hillard family as they make it through this coming year without Angela. (Michael-father, Aidan-son, and Ari-daughter)